Psychoanalyst / Couples Therapist
Virginia Goldner is an internationally recognized psychoanalyst and couples therapist, whose work bridges psychoanalytic theory, feminist and queer theory, and systems theory. She has received awards for her distinguished contributions to these fields by the American Family Therapy Academy, and by Division 39 of the American Psychological Association.
Dr. Goldner is a Clinical Professor at the New York University Post-doctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis, and Faculty at the Stephen Mitchell Center for Relational Studies. She is a Supervisor in the Doctoral program in Clinical Psychology at CUNY, and is also an Emeritus Faculty at the Ackerman Institute of the Family.
Dr. Goldner teaches and supervises clinicians nationally and internationally - and treats individuals, couples, and families in her private practice. She is also the on-camera Consultant to psychoanalyst Orna Guralnik on the award-winning Showtime docuseries, Couples Therapy, now in its third season.
Dr. Goldner is the Founding Editor of the journal, Studies in Gender and Sexuality, and is an Associate Editor of the journal Psychoanalytic Dialogues.
She is the author of over 50 articles and book chapters, and is completing a book that collects her major papers. Some of those titles are listed below:
- Selected Writings (click to download)
- What's in a Name?, Psa. Dial., 32, 2. (2022)
- Introduction to the Panel: "Time's Up?", Psa. Dial., 30, 1. (2020)
- Pleasure Can Hurt: The Erotic Politics of Sexual Coercion, Psa. Dial., 30, 1. (2020)
- Rape Jokes: Laugh Till You Cry, Stud. Gen & Sexuality, 18, 2. (2017)
- Romantic Bonds, Binds, and Ruptures: Couples on the Brink, Psa. Dial., 24, 1. (2014)
- Trans: Gender in Free Fall, Psa. Dial., 21, 2. (2011)
- Attachment and Eros: Lets Do it Again, Psa. Dial., 16/6. (2007)
- When Love Hurts: Treating Abusive Relationships, Psa. Inq., 24,3. (2004)
- Attachment and Eros: Opposed or Synergistic?, Psa. Dial., 14,3. (2004)
- Ironic Gender/Authentic Sex, Stud. Gen & Sexuality, 4,2. (2003)
- Treatment of Relational Violence & Victimization , Family Process, 37, 3. (1998)
- Toward a Critical, Relational Theory of Gender, Psa. Dial., 1,3. (1991)